Interested in checking out what it’s like to join the Unspoken Ink Creative Writing Group before committing to 10 weeks of the group? You’re in luck! On August 16th from 5-7 pm PDT / 8-10 pm EDT we’ll be hosting an Open Write Night! You can spend an evening with other young adult cancer survivors and do some creative writing while you’re at it. The Open Write Night will meet via video chat!
Here’s how it works!
- Sign up!
- Lacuna Loft will assign you an email address and explain how to log in to that email address.
- We’ll send a calendar invite to your Lacuna Loft email address.
- On August 16th at 5 pm PDT / 8 pm EDT, login to your Lacuna Loft email address and join the open write night calendar invite.
- Spend 2 hours over video chat with your cancer survivor friends, writing and having fun!
Want to know more about the Unspoken Ink Creative Writing Group?
The Unspoken Ink writing group uses a creative writing method (Amherst Writing and Artists (AWA) Method) wherein the facilitator provides a writing prompt and you can use that prompt in any way you’d like to create a story over a set amount of time. Once we’ve finished our writing (yes, the facilitator writes too!), everyone is given the opportunity to read their writing out loud. Hearing your own story and hearing someone else’s teaches us all so much about our experiences and our stories. Once the piece is read, we reflect on the writing – what did we like, what stood out, what do we remember. Everything is considered fiction so we do not respond to the writer as a support group may, but keep the focus on the writing.
Sometimes the prompts are about cancer, sometimes indirectly related to cancer, and sometimes not about cancer at all. Above all, the writing program emphasizes that we are more than a diagnosis.
– The writing group meets for 2 hours each week, for a period of 10 weeks. A commitment to attend each week is important to group continuity and in creating a safe space. Please be on time ? The group will begin in mid-September and will meet on Tuesdays from 5-7 pm PDT / 8-10 EDT.
– Each participant will receive a name@LacunaLoft-writinggroup.org email address to use when attending each writing group session. At this email address, you will receive a weekly invitation to a google video hangout where the writing group session will take place.
– Following each weekly session, you may decide to submit your writing to Mallory (email@example.com) for publication on LacunaLoft.org in their Young Adult Voices program section. This is not mandatory!